Home Our Services About Us Why Choose Select? Advice & Information Careers Our Care Homes New Projects News Who Pays For Your Care? Our Facilities Testimonials Contact Us
Select Healthcare Group News


January 23rd 2019

Dementia is a very challenging disease with regards to the levels of care that your relative needs, or will eventually need. Aside from personal and healthcare assistance, dementia patients need to be watched regularly or monitored 24/7 for their safety or the safety of those around them. With that said, a dementia care home customarily becomes the best and only option for your relative's health and needs.

Finding your relative a place in a nursing home sometimes has an undeserving stigma around it, when in fact, care homes - dementia nursing homes more specifically - have countless benefits for your relative's well-being and allow them to receive the meticulous care and experience the levels of interaction that they need.

The topic of funding of care homes for dementia is foggy. Who pays for dementia nursing care? Can you obtain local authority funding for care homes? We're hoping to help clear up any of your burning questions surrounding funding dementia care facilities for your relative.


There are two organisations in the UK that provide financial help for dementia patients, your local authority social services and the NHS. If your relative requires healthcare, the NHS will help to cover care home fees if your relative is eligible. Healthcare includes things such as treating an illness, injury or disability etc.

On the other hand, if it is social and personal care assistance that your relative requires, you might receive financial dementia support from your local authority social services department. Social and personal care covers help such as helping your relative to dress, mealtimes, washing, going to the toilet and taking medications etc.


Financial assessments are carried out to determine whether your relative has to fund the dementia nursing home themselves, or are they eligible for funding from one of the organisations mentioned above - the NHS or your local council social services.

During the process of a financial assessment, your relative will be required to complete forms relating to their current financial state, although family members or carers usually assist with the completion process of these forms and declarations, especially if the relative in question is no longer compos mentis due to their dementia.

Authorities will review your loved one's income and capital, it will then be included in the financial assessment or declared partly or full disregarded. For example, if your relative owns their own house when staying in a dementia nursing home, the value of this property will be entirely disregarded if a qualifying relative lives in the house as their primary residence, a husband or wife, for example.

Income relates to the money your relative is currently earning and that they receive regularly, this is mostly from benefits or a pension. Capital indicates any assets that your friend or relative has for example savings, investments and possibly their home.

The financial review may also inquire about the income and capital of a partner. After authorities are satisfied with what belongs to the person applying for dementia care and what belongs to their partner, they must only include the applicant's assets and income into the financial assessment for dementia residential homes.

Upon completion of the financial assessment, the local authority has to present a written statement, with a full breakdown of their calculations and a detailed view of how they reached their conclusion with regards to funding care home fees for dementia homes.


There are two thresholds when calculating financial help for dementia patients in England, the Upper Threshold and the Lower Threshold.

The Upper Threshold for care home funding in England and Northern Ireland is £23,250.

The Upper Savings Threshold in Wales is £40,000 for dementia residential homes and £24,000 for dementia home care.

If the financial assessment decides that your relative's capital is at the upper bracket or above, they will have to pay their own dementia care home fees in full.

The Lower Threshold for funding homes for dementia patients in England and Northern Ireland is £14,250.

There is no Lower Threshold in Wales.

On the contrary, if you fall within the lower bracket, local authorities will assist with paying care homes fees for dementia and the rest of the money will be made up of the resident's pension fund, but they must have with a minimum amount to themselves every month, also known as a personal expenses allowance.

As aforementioned, if your relative has to part-fund their dementia care home, they must still be left with a weekly allowance after they pay their residential home fees.

The Personal Expenses Allowance in England and Northern Ireland is £24.90 per week.

The Personal Expenses Allowance in Wales, now known as the Minimum Income Amount, is £28.50 per week.


The main exception to any of the above information concerns the Mental Health Act of 1983. If your relative, friend, or any person with dementia has received ANY hospital treatment under section 3 of the Mental Health Act of 1983, they automatically qualify for full aftercare funding from the NHS. This law covers dementia care at home and the use of residential dementia care facilities, with the aim to prevent any further readmissions into a hospital or any other unit.

Select Healthcare is a trusted provider of specialist dementia care homes up and down the country. Whether your loved one is paying their own care home fees in full, or receiving local authority funding for a care home, Select Healthcare's range of residential care homes has your relatives health and best interests at heart. If you have any enquiries regarding one of our specialist dementia care homes, or maybe you need help getting the process started, call us on 01384 217 900, and we would love to help you!

< Back

Latest NewsView All
Find a carehome Send a Post Card